Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Norse Mills of Lewis

Posted by vicnewey 
Norse Mills of Lewis
November 08, 2011 01:53PM
Does anyone have any detailed information on the roof construction of Norse or click mills ?

I am making another scale model for a watermill museum & although I have the wonderful book 'Norse Mills of Lewis' by Finlay Macleod I can't see enough detail of the roof covering below the thatch.

Although some of the photo's in the book show some derelict mills from the 1930's era with part of the roofing structure still visible and it shows cladding with boards under the thatch but this is not the traditional way from earlier times.

The question is, was it turf or large pieces of thin stone that was laid across the timbers prior to adding the thatch? I can see that the thatch was made of a broken mishmash of straw resulting from hand threshing and then packed thickly under old fishing nets weighted down by stones. As the model will show part of the interior with a cutaway section the underside of the roofing will be visible so I want to get it right.

Vic
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
CAPTCHA