Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chocolate Mills

Posted by Hopper-Boy 
Chocolate Mills
June 07, 2011 06:44PM
I have been doing research on chocolate mills in the 18th and early 19th centuries. Do you have any information on cocoa mills of that period. And do you know of any windmills in Holland that may be operating today grinding cocoa beans, there names and locations. Thank you!
Re: Chocolate Mills
June 16, 2011 01:44AM
Hi Hopper-boy,

I know of no mills processing cocoa beans these days in the Netherlands.

Most oil mills in the Zaan-area that survived into the 20th century has been processing cocoa-waste. I don't know to much about it, but I have understand that the windmills with their wedge-presses were able to better get the last cocoa-butter out. Probably the factories were more optimized at speed then at efficiency. Of course this is different from processing the beans.

'1000 Zaanse Molens' from Boorsma mentions that there were 8 windmills processing cocoa, and 33 processing cocoa-waste in the Zaan-area.

Regards,

Andre
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
CAPTCHA