Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mill GPS Database

Posted by Willem 
Mill GPS Database
April 02, 2010 07:10PM
The Mill GPS Database is now up and running. This is an application based on Google Earth or Google Maps, in which per mill the coordinates and a picture are stored.
All info's can be found under: Mill GPS Database

Should you have any questions or remarks, please address them here in this forum.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2010 10:43AM by Willem.
Re: Mill GPS Database
April 04, 2010 01:47PM
Willem,
1 for dutch existing and disappeared mills there are already databases available, see [www.molens.nl] and/or [www.molendatabase.nl] .
In both databases the GPS-coordinates adn /or photo's are available
2. I suggest that in the discription / name of the mill on Google also is indicated the country it is situated

Regards Peter Tergau
April 04, 2010 03:28PM
Hi,

> 1 for dutch existing and disappeared mills there
> are already databases available, see
> [www.molens.nl] and/or
> [www.molendatabase.nl] .
> In both databases the GPS-coordinates adn /or
> photo's are available

but not very easy to handle, I think you mean

[www.molendatabase.nl]

you can't open it in google maps or google earth in fullscreen mode and you can't differentiate the mills via several symbols like ruin etc.
And here, we have the possibility to add the homepage adress, we have a bigger picture in the window and you can download the excelsheet and make your own google files. And the greatest advantage is that you can view the whole world in google earth and not only mills of one provincie.

> 2. I suggest that in the discription / name of the
> mill on Google also is indicated the country it is
> situated

Do you mean the visible name of the mill in the map?

Regards Ansgar Rahmacher
April 04, 2010 07:52PM
Good initiative!

However, there are a few things I would like to say about the database:
1. I prefer the links organised by country, region, and type, so I can select which mills I would like to see on the map and which mills Google Earth has to hide for me at a given moment.

2. There is no information on the copyright status of the photos. If you accept free media, nl.wikipedia has a lot of photos to offer.

Regards,
Quistnix
April 05, 2010 05:10PM
> 1. I prefer the links organised by country,
> region, and type, so I can select which mills I
> would like to see on the map and which mills
> Google Earth has to hide for me at a given
> moment.

it is possible to do that, but it costs time. Because for every new symbol I must add 3 more sheets in the excelfile. This project doesn't work with an automatic database, I have to do it by hand. But with the videotutorials, you are able to do it by yourself. smiling smiley
To do it you have to sort the excelfile after the interesting keywords, but at the moment there aren't many keywords in so we have to add them time by time.

I don't know how to work with an automatic database but I think it's quite complicated and the people who can do it are either expensive or disorganized.

> 2. There is no information on the copyright status
> of the photos. If you accept free media,
> nl.wikipedia has a lot of photos to offer.

that sounds great. At the moment we use fotos of mill friends who allow the use in the project, their name is shown under the photo. The most important thing in this project is to get photos of the many mills which doesn't have photos at this time. But it is impossible to do for one person so if many people search photos for a few mills, it could work. Maybe some mill societies have already photos of several mills and we can work together.

Regards

Ansgar
April 08, 2010 01:00AM
Most windmills in the Netherlands (over 90% of the existing mills) have photos with a free license. An overview can be found at this page. For existing watermills in the Netherlands, an overview can be found here.

Regards,

Quistnix
April 08, 2010 01:04PM
I have some questions about the free license, for example of this photo here:

[nl.wikipedia.org]

Here is some additional info:
[creativecommons.org]

What do we have to write under the picture? At the moment, we can write down the name of the photographer, if we know it. We don't have enough space to write down a long sentence like "Notice — For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page. " or any similar text.

So what do we have to do exactly to use these pictures? It's quite difficult to search for the correct name of the photographer every time because often they use a nickname.

CU

Ansgar
April 09, 2010 10:54PM
Hmmm...the example is one of my own contributions to Wikipedia grinning smiley

A proper reference would be a Creative Commons CC-BY-SA mark, the name (or nickname) of the maker, and a reference to the URL where the original work was taken from (at least so I think). Maybe this URL explains more. A reference like that would be good enough for me.

On Wikipedia, one can find different licenses. CC-BY and CC-BY-SA are the most common ones.

Regards,

Quistnix
April 10, 2010 09:48AM
As for my photos on Wikipedia: you have my permission to use all mill photos I uploaded there, if you make a reference like "CC-BY-SA" and my nickname "Quistnix".

You can find my photos on this page and the links to the windmills in different provinces of the Netherlands and Belgium on that page.

regards,

Quistnix
April 10, 2010 11:18AM
-------------------------------------------------------
> As for my photos on Wikipedia: you have my
> permission to use all mill photos I uploaded
> there, if you make a reference like "CC-BY-SA" and
> my nickname "Quistnix".

don't you like to have your realname? smiling smiley

> You can find my photos on this page and the links
> to the windmills in different provinces of the
> Netherlands and Belgium on that page.

I will have a look next days what is the easiest way to insert photos because sometimes I only have the gps coordinates of some mills and no name so it is difficult to find out to which mill the photo belongs.

Yesterday I added some mills with photos of the czech republic.

CU

Ansgar
April 10, 2010 05:34PM
Ansgar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > As for my photos on Wikipedia: you have my
> > permission to use all mill photos I uploaded
> > there, if you make a reference like "CC-BY-SA"
> and
> > my nickname "Quistnix".
>
> don't you like to have your realname? smiling smiley
>

I prefer my nickname winking smiley

>
> I will have a look next days what is the easiest
> way to insert photos because sometimes I only have
> the gps coordinates of some mills and no name so
> it is difficult to find out to which mill the
> photo belongs.

Now that is not too difficult. I can show you an example:

This photo of windmill De Bente links to the Wikipedia article on De Bente (almost at the bottom).

If you look at that page, you will see its coordinates in the upper right corner. Most mills on nl.wikipedia have their coordinates there. In the infobox, their names and details are listed, if known.

Hope this will help.

Quistnix
April 12, 2010 02:11AM
> If you look at that page, you will see its
> coordinates in the upper right corner. Most mills
> on nl.wikipedia have their coordinates there. In
> the infobox, their names and details are listed,
> if known.
>
> Hope this will help.

I will test it, got some other photos of mills but in the next days I have many other things to do.

CU

Ansgar
April 12, 2010 09:23PM
Okay, no problem. There are photos of over 1,000 windmills and dozens of watermills in the Netherlands on Wikipedia that are all okay to use. That is over 90% of the total number of "complete" mills in the country, if you make a reference to the source or to the maker (depending on the license used). That might save a lot of work.

Regards,
Quistnix
April 12, 2010 11:49PM
Hi,

I will search photos of watermills in wikipedia. Leo van der Drift will send me his windmillpictures and name it after the mill so it will be very easy for me to integrate them in the list. When he sent me all of his pictures then I will look after the remaining mills so noone has to do double work.

CU

Ansgar
May 13, 2010 03:47PM
Hi,

meanwhile I added many other mills of germany and netherlands with pictures and very many mills without pictures where some other mill enthousiasts send me locations. Leo told me that he can send me some pictures of watermills to and after that I will have a look which pictures are missing.

Here are the actual links:

[gpsdatabase.molinology.org]

CU

Ansgar

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2010 10:48AM by Willem.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
CAPTCHA